Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My experiments with vtv songs

I have always wanted Rahman to work with Gautam menon. That's because, Gautam menon is a director who extracts the best out of his music directors (remember, minnale, kaaka kaaka and varanam ayiram). So, naturally I had huge expectations about 'vinnai thandi varuvaya' album. Already, promo of songs hosanna and omana penne had created a great hype for this album. I was eagerly waiting to hear the songs since its music launch in London. Now, that wait is over and I got the opportunity to listen to all the songs.
To be frank, I wasn't much impressed with the songs in the first hearing. All songs sounded just ok. But, Rahman has this magic which works only if you hear his songs repeatedly. Once you get addicted to them, you cannot come out of them for lifetime. The same applies to this album too...
Mannipaya - I thought that this was an ordinary song in my first hearing. There was nothing captivating in the beginning. But, now Im addicted to this song. Shreya Goshal has rendered this song so beautifully with neat tamil pronunciation. And, Rahman soon joins her and makes your heart melt when he sings the lines, "melum melum urugi urugi unai enni yengum idhayathai enna seiven?" I love this song for its lyrics too... There cannot be a more beautiful soothing melody in recent times than this song.
Hosanna - This song is already a great hit. This peppy number has great variations. Blaaze's rap is the highlight of this song. Apart from this, the way the song ends is really awesome. "yen idhayam udaithai norungave? en maru idhayam tharuven nee udaikave!!!".
Omana penne - This song is one that captures your heart instantly. Watch out for the part sung by a female singer. That has classical touch to it. The part which I liked the most in this song is when the singer sings the lines, "oru parvai, siru parvai uthirthal uthirthal pizhaipen pizhaipen!"
This song will be liked by everyone whatever may be their preference/taste in music.
Anbil avan - This is another peppy number. This somehow reminds me of 'marangothiye' song from A Ah. There's a part where you hear christian music. Soon you hear nadaswaram music. Good fusion!
Kannukul kannai - Another peppy number sung by Naresh Iyer. Loved the lines, "un nanban illai; nan vanin nila... un nanban illai; nee en uyirin vizha!".
Aromale - A very different attempt. I liked it after repeated hearing. 'swasthi swasthi' part is captivating. Wish I could understand the malayam lyrics...
Vinnai thandi varuvaya - This is one song which I could'nt fall in love with even after repeated hearing till now... But I must admit that I liked the ending part. Maybe, I should listen for few more times...

Overall, its a very good album. Don't compare it with any other album in the past. This one is stunningly very different and very fresh. You have to trust Rahman fully. He never disappoints you :)

No comments: